Christmas Angel

This was written in response to the WL Christmas Challenge.
 

It was well after midnight and Darby sat quietly gazing at the bundle he held in his arms. He wiped away a tear of joy when he thought of the miracle he’d seen unfold tonight. He shouldn’t have even been here, but Tony had been called away unexpectedly. Besides, this hadn’t been due to happen for another three weeks.

He glanced up at Shelley and smiled. She looked tired, but Darby couldn’t remember her ever looking more beautiful.

Studying the baby once again, he murmured for the umpteenth time, “She’s so exquisite; a miniature replica of her mom.”

“I’m so glad you could be here, Darby. I know it kind of threw you when I asked you to be my second coach and I remember how queasy you got at some of the Lamaze classes you attended with Tony and me. But you pulled off this birthing process like a pro.”

Darby shook his head. “You’re the one who pulled it off, Shelley. I just mostly watched.” He grinned, and then went on with a bit of wonder in his voice. “I think I have an idea about how Joseph might have felt that first Christmas over twenty centuries ago. Of course, it was a lot different for him. After all, he and Mary were in a stable; while we’re in a warm sterile hospital room without an animal in sight. He was besieged by numerous shepherds and wise men; while we’ve only had to contend with a midwife and a couple of nurses. And he held a baby boy while I’m holding a baby girl.”

“Yes, only very minor differences,” Shelley laughed.

Darby gently pulled back the small blanket to get a better look at the baby. “But I bet like me, even though he wasn’t the biological father, he loved the child and would spend his life caring for and watching over his precious charge. I promise to do my best to always be there for this little one, Shelley.”

“I know you will, Darby; just as you’ve always been there for me. And Tony sends his thanks. He loves the pictures we texted him.”

Darby got to his feet. “It’s late, you need your sleep and Rowan is waiting for me. Do you want the baby in your bed or should I put her in the bassinette?”

“Give her here, please.” Shelley held out her arms.

Darby carefully returned the newborn to her mother. “I’ll let the nurses know I’m leaving now so they’ll come in to check on you.” He leaned over and kissed his best friend.

“Oh Darby, you have another special responsibility as her Godfather. Tony and I have spent months trying to come up with a name and not been able to. We’d like you to name her for us.”

Darby’s mouth dropped opened at this astonishing request.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Shortly before two in the morning, Darby arrived home and pulled into the driveway. He was tired but at the same time elated. What an amazing event he’d been honoured to take part in.

He found Rowan nodding off in their big recliner in the living room and climbed in beside him. A mesmerizing twinkling of the Christmas tree lights peacefully lit up a small area of the room.

“You’re finally home, Sweets. I missed you.” Rowan yawned drowsily.

“I missed you too. Normally I’d have rather spent Christmas Eve with you, but…..well, thanks for understanding.” Darby had to stretch slightly in order to kiss his husband’s lips.

“It was certainly an exceptional privilege for you, my love. And Christmas isn’t over yet. So, how did everything go?”

“It was just too awe-inspiring for words. Shelley and Tony are now the proud parents of a darling daughter, and I got to name her.”

“Really?” Rowan sat up a little straighter and stared wide-eyed in disbelief. “I’d have thought the parents of a child would be somewhat possessive of that particular responsibility.”

Darby shrugged. “Apparently they couldn’t come to an agreement, so they asked me. Shelley said it was my duty as Godfather. Surprisingly enough, both of them accepted the name I came up with without a moment’s hesitation.”

“So…..what is it?”

“Lyric Noel.”

Rowan blinked and mentally scrambled for something to say. “Well,” he cleared his throat, “chances of her running into others with the same name will be slim. And there’s something to be said for originality.” He smiled when Darby merely yawned loudly and cuddled closer.

Dragging the soft throw off the back of the chair, Rowan threw caution to the wind and decided they’d sleep here tonight. He knew they would likely pay for it in the morning, but the stiff muscles they'd wake up with would soon disappear once they got up and moving. He chuckled when hearing his lover’s final declaration before falling asleep.

“You know,” Darby blearily mumbled, “Shelley said she knew darn well that I was already planning her daughter’s first visit with Santa Claus and reminded me that Lyric is a Hanukkah baby. But I maintain that Lyric will always be my little Christmas Angel.”

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment